Dovetail, a branding, marketing and digital media agency, is looking for a full-time copywriter who can collaborate with our team of art directors, designers and account managers to produce compelling and persuasive work.
10 things you need to know about the position:
- Being versatile is huge at Dovetail. We’re a smaller agency but do certain big things amazingly well. So one day you could be asked to help write scripts for a TV spot and the next day you could be crafting copy for a website, creating concepts for a brochure or storyboarding a presentation.
- Must love learning — and sharing what you learn with the team. Maybe it’s an idea for Dovetail or it could be a trend to help build a client’s brand. Presenting new ideas and following through is what keeps us moving forward.
- You need to bring value and energy to brainstorming sessions. We condone caffeine in all forms, so if you need an espresso or Red Bull (or three) to bring it, join the club. Prep work is just as important, so bring that, too.
- Thinking strategically is just as important as being creative. If the work gets off strategy, you’ll need to have a really good reason or be able to quickly hit Command+Z and get back on track.
- R-E-S-P-E-C-T for grammar, language, usage and proofing your work is a must. You know the devil is in the details and know how to use the right trigger words and emotions to write persuasive copy. Channel Don Draper or Peggy Olson (although, skipping their level of drama would be appreciated).
- Some of our work involves complex communication challenges, requiring research and digging to get up to speed on the category. From time to time, you may interview clients and stakeholders to get the information we need to find the elusive insight we can put to work.
- We need someone who has what it takes to produce work in a fast-paced environment. We don’t like fire drills either, but if you can’t deal with them occasionally, you’re in the wrong business.
- It seems like a no-brainer, but meeting deadlines is an absolute must. We have internal deadlines and client deadlines. Both are #1 on the important scale. We trust you’ll manage your time efficiently — and that you’ll ask for help when you need it.
- You’ll need to be a proactive self-starter with a positive attitude. Working at a small agency means owning your work — and being responsible enough to get it done without someone looking over your shoulder.
- Dedication to your craft and to our work together is essential. We like having fun and it’s more rewarding when we are all committed to doing our best work together. “Only the Dedicated” need apply.
10 things you may want to know about Dovetail (and can’t find on Google):
- We’ve been in business for over 30 years and started trading under the name Dovetail in 2010 as a result of a merger between advertising agency Maring Weissman and branding and digital media agency Big Wheel.
- Our clients often fall into B2B and B2C categories like healthcare, manufacturing, finance, destination, biotech, construction and technology. An interest in (or professional knowledge of) these categories would be extremely helpful.
- The clients we work with are happy to know that we understand business, sales, strategy, KPI’s and how to measure success. We’re often analytical in our approach since the industries we serve tend to have a lot of complicated details to communicate.
- We are channel agnostic when it comes to media. That means we have to know how to execute work in a lot of different mediums — from traditional advertising (as it evolves) to digital and tomorrow’s new media. There’s never a dull moment when it comes to staying one step ahead.
- We’ve been described as “caring too much” about the work we do for our clients. We’ll want you to “care too much” as well. We can’t help it — it’s in our DNA — and it should be in yours, too.
- We’re not big fans of the big ego. The best idea should win, no matter its origin — as long as it’s on strategy and can be executed.
- Solving the puzzle with a million tiny pieces and making sense of it all — that’s what we do.
- We lend our expertise to a couple of not-for-profit projects a year and we like to help people when we can.
- BENEFITS: we got ‘em. Health insurance, dental, 401k, paid holidays and more (like a ton of free coffee).
- The best work comes from a happy, positive place where people click. Chemistry is of the utmost importance.
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, English, public relations or related field
- 2–4 years professional experience
- Excellent writing, verbal and presentation skills
- Ability/experience writing for both B2B and B2C
- Strong research skills
- Understand or be willing to learn content marketing and related strategies
- Communicate professionally with Dovetail team members and clients
- Microsoft Office proficiency
- Social Media experience a plus
Next Steps to Be Considered for the Position:
Please email resume and samples to: email@example.com and include “Copywriter Position” in the subject line. For more information on Dovetail, please visit dovetail-stl.com.
- Send us your resume and a cover letter telling us why you’d be a great fit at Dovetail
- Send us a link to your online portfolio or a PDF of writing samples
- Tell us where your best ideas originate
- Answer: If you could choose one product or brand to do work for, what would it be and why?
Dovetail celebrates business in the heart of St. Louis’ historic Central West End neighborhood.